Monday, September 7, 2015

You are Where You're At Because You're Supposed to Be There.



Today I read this article in Yahoo! news about how the United States is experiencing a severe shortage of psychiatrists.  (see http://news.yahoo.com/across-much-us-serious-shortage-psychiatrists-161556207.html).  And I thought, This is not news.

We are just now on the cusp of finally understanding mental illness as a true illness and not some hair-brained fantasy cooked up by someone looking to get out of work/relationships/responsibilities/whatever.  But I skimmed through the article anyway, and that nagging voice started up again in the back of my head. It's the voice that says, "You should do this."

First let me say there are a lot of reasons for me NOT to.  I'm 41 years old.  I can pass for younger, and I don't feel 41, unless I've gotten up at 5 in the flippin' morning, in which case EVERYTHING hurts and I sound like an 80 year old man.  Another reason is that the sheer amount of schooling involved to achieve it is atrocious.  According to that article, (and I would need to do more research to see if it's true), Texas is forgiving the student loans of Psy. D's who are working in under-served areas (which really, should be the whole effing state.)

Hmmm.

I also had this thought, the other day.  I was thinking about all the time I wasted, going to school in my twenties.  I could have finished college.  I thought, Why did it take me this long to figure all this out?  Why did I have all these different jobs, albeit interesting jobs?  Why couldn't I have just gone from A to B and skipped all the stuff in the middle?  And the answer I got was that I am where I'm at because I'm supposed to be here at this point in time, and that at any other time, it wouldn't have worked out and I wouldn't have been ready to do it.

So, I know God has this plan, for me. He has one for everyone.  The beauty is in watching it unfold, and I find that breathtaking and exciting.  Forget being patient. Sometimes if you stop and admire the grass and flowers, you forget that it's taking them so long to grow.




No comments:

Post a Comment