Friday, September 11, 2015

Wasting Time

I hate being sick. It's such a waste of time.

I've spent the day laying around with my eyes closed, snacking on feel-good foods and wishing I could breathe.  I played around on Yahoo! and read about vicious wild animal attacks.  (makes me really, really glad I don't own a komodo dragon, chimpanzee, or a circus animal.)  I also stumbled across this article:  http://news.yahoo.com/mom-daughter-waited-10-days-er-mental-health-154453973.html.

You can click on it, but basically, a 19 year old girl needed to be admitted to a hospital's mental health care wing, and there wasn't a bed available, so she was forced to sleep on a couch in the ER for ten days.

And it wasn't because there wasn't a bed.  There were empty beds.  It was because there wasn't enough staff to accommodate all of those empty beds.

Ridiculous.

So, after spending my requisite minute of outrage at the state of mental health care in America (yeah, I know, I'm getting obsessed...maybe I need a bed)...I wandered into the other room where Husband was looking at Reddit, only to find a video about a 26 year old woman who is obsessed with the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles to the point of living as Michaelangelo.

Nothing to add to that.  Except that I've never seen anything more unhealthy than smearing mayonnaise on bacon-topped pizza, but that's just my personal opinion.

I did go outside today.  In my Wonder Woman pajamas.  The sun was too bright.

I read up on covert narcissistic personality disorder and ate too many cookies.  I played level after level of Plants Vs Zombies and watched the first five minutes of "Life of Pi" with my daughter before I had to herd the Littles out of the room.  (Great book, movie is ok).  I thought about cleaning the house and then my body decided that I was crazy for even considering the idea.

Now I'm sitting here at 923 pm, unable to focus on a blessed thing because that's what happens when you're me and you stuff yourself full of cold medicine.  This is why I don't drink.  If Tylenol Cold and Flu can give me this kind of buzz, what would a shot of Vodka do?  I really don't want to know, because I'm pretty sure something bad would happen.  I would probably have a Britney Spears circa 2007 moment, or do something else really embarrassing.  Also, I just don't want to, because I never have, and I never will.

My final thought for the day, before signing off, is about those wild animal attacks I read about.  In some of those instances, people were in much closer proximity than they should have been.  They were in places that they had no business being.  One guy was chasing a bear while riding his snowmobile, for crying out loud.  One woman went over to a friend's house and was mauled by a pet chimpanzee on Xanax.

But some of them were freak accidents, like Steve Irwin getting stung in the chest by a stingray, or a little boy leaping out of his mother's arms into a pen at the zoo full of African wild dogs.

And I'll bet, in all of those cases, human error and stupidity aside, chance circumstances and unfortunate scenarios notwithstanding,  none of these people woke up that morning and thought, I think I'll have a dangerous encounter with an animal today, and I might even die.

The point is that life is so unpredictable.  You think you know what the plan is, and where you're headed.  But the truth is that sometimes it just doesn't work out that way, and if you've got people in your life who are important to you, tell them. Make them understand that they mean something to you, that they're important,that you love them,  because they're not always going to be there.

Now it's late, and Big Hero 6 is on (again, it's so cute, I hardly get tired of it, but I'm starting to memorize the blasted thing, thank you kids), and I need a bed.  Because I'm tired, and I'm obsessed with mental health care in America and buzzing on Tylenol cold and flu.  Until we meet again.







No comments:

Post a Comment