Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Rain and Writing

I love, love, love that musty smell that happens when it hasn't rained for a long time and suddenly we get a downpour.  Right now the gates of heaven have opened and we are getting saturated here in our little Texas town.  I love it.  This is the perfect day for me.  Beautiful weather...and I know, I know, for some people, this weather is not beautiful.  It's a matter of perspective.  I just happen to love the sound of it, the smell of it, and the cloudy skies.  Maybe it's my inner Goth coming out to play.

By Friday I have to have written a 5 to 7 page paper on the effects of texting on driving for my "writing in psychology" class.  This is probably the most challenging class for me.  Everything has to be written in APA style.  That means everything must be cited correctly, all margins have to be a certain space, the words "that, which, who, whom, since, because" and the like all have to be used in a certain context, and I have to make a blood sacrifice to the Annoying Styles of Writing Gods by tomorrow at midnight.  I'm kidding.

I told my husband about this and he said something to the effect of, what is the point of that?

Indeed.  It's not my kind of writing.  It's clinical and not expressive. But that is precisely the point.  In any kind of expository or research-based writing, there can be no room for ambiguity. There are rules that have to be followed so that if you happen to publish that Nobel-prize-worthy research, everyone knows exactly what you mean and there is no room for error.

Speaking of writing, I've learned some very valuable lessons in the last year or so.  And that's when not to write.  Don't write when you're tired.  Don't write when you're angry.  And don't write when you don't have time to write.  I have frequently broken all three of those rules, with undesirable results.

That being said, I have to sign off now and dive into the world of texting and driving. Which goes together like chicken livers and ice cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment