Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Today I took Logan in for a checkup at the doctor.  It was a routine visit; I had some questions about his behavior.  As we were talking, the doctor paused for a moment and looked at me, and said, You know, the United States as a whole is experiencing a shortage of psychiatrists right now, especially child psychiatrists.

He went on to tell me that he had children coming into his office on a daily basis who needed these services, and he was ill-equipped to provide for them in the way they needed.  He commented that some of them come to him suicidal, and they don't get the help they need before it's too late.

I tentatively said, Well, this is what I'm going to school for, but sometimes I think I'm too old.

And he laughed and said, no no no, you are so, so, so young.  You're not too old.

Do you know what a calling is?

I think it's shouted to me long enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment