Monday, September 28, 2015

When the School Listens


To say that I ranted on this blog a couple of nights ago about the state of Logan's educational plan would be an understatement.  Do I regret writing what I wrote?  No, I do not, simply because someone has to be a voice for Logan.  That person is me.  His mother.  It's my  job.

Everyone that works at the school, from the nutritionists to the nurses to the board members and so forth, has a job too.  I'm thankful that the Director of Special Education chose to listen to me, and took into account what was really behind everything I was writing, which was frustration at the ineffectiveness of a system, not at a single person. 

I'm happy to report that my concerns are being addressed.  As I said to the Director, no one goes into special ed because it's fun or because it will make you rich.  The people that are employed by the school in that capacity are there because they want to be there.  Sometimes, misunderstandings arise, based on perceptions of a disorder or behaviors, and unless someone says something or does something, those misunderstandings can persist and create huge problems.

We still have a very long way to go, but I'm very hopeful about the future.  Until next time.

3 comments:

  1. I'm not sure why it did that, but why don't you try posting it again? I want to hear what you had to say!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure why it did that, but why don't you try posting it again? I want to hear what you had to say!

    ReplyDelete