Sunday, March 13, 2016

Peacocks and Crinoids and Roses oh my

The weather was gorgeous today, right?

 I enjoyed this day, simply because I spent part of it outside in our raised beds planting beans with my son.  The other raised bed got a dose of African violets and "cutting garden mix".  When we first put those beds in, I was told not to plant flowers there, because flowers aren't "edible".  So for a couple of years, even though I was itching to do it, I didn't.

This year I thought, how ridiculous, to be afraid to plant flowers.  Especially if I'm the one doing most of the work in the garden in the first place.  I love having fresh flowers around the house.  (Note:  Fake, plastic flowers really irritate me.  I know they have their uses, like decorating a gravesite so that they won't fade and stuff, but I really hate them.  I've already told my kids when I kick it they need to just plant a rosebush on top of me.  They laughed, but I was serious.)

I also went out to look at a piece of property that was way out in Venus, TX that was on an acre.  I really, really want a mini-farm. When I described a mini-farm to my 15 year old, he laughed at me and said that wasn't a farm. So, I changed it to "micro-farm".  This is what a micro-farm is, to me:  two or three acres with a ginormous produce garden, fruit trees, and a BUNCH of flower and herb beds, a creek or pond, chickens, maybe a pot belly pig (my daughter loves piggies), a fainting goat (because it's fun to watch them), a miniature pony, and peacocks.  Yes, I will have peacocks.  They are gorgeous.  I know they're noisy, but I really want one!

So, that is a micro farm.  The house also has to be big enough for a bunch of people, just because I expect everyone to come hang out.

Anyhow, the place in Venus needed way too much work, and it just wasn't quite right.  It's kind of a dream, but it doesn't hurt to think about it, right?

The other thing I did today was I unabashedly ate a mint chocolate chip ice cream sandwich..twice...and bought a miniature rose that was an unusual color I had never seen before.  White.  But tinted green.  A very, very, very pale green.

Logan also requested that we look for fossils in the front yard.  I have never found one there, even when I've dug up flower beds, but our entire family has the whole week off, so we may head out to the fossil park in Mineral Wells.  The Fossil Park is free.  It's way the heck out in the middle of nowhere. There is no shade, no bathrooms, and there are bunches of crinoids.If you don't know what that is, Google it.

Other than that, I will continue trying to distract myself from what this week may bring. 


No comments:

Post a Comment