Monday, March 28, 2016

Is there anything more heavenly than springtime in Texas?  I can't get enough of dirt roads and highways lined with bluebonnets and Indian paintbrush.  I love wandering the woods near our house; the creekbeds have mounds of honeysuckle that grow there, and we all know that's a Texas girl's favorite treat.

I spent the first half of the day outside today, plucking weeds and digging a new flowerbed.  I didn't think I would have time to do that this year, but I made a square in the yard and amended the soil with some richer stuff.  Hopefully I'll have a variety of zinnias popping up there in a few days.

My grandmother always had a huge garden.  I miss it.  I don't know how she did it, because there was a giant pecan tree growing in the middle of it, but she managed to do onions, tomatoes and bell peppers.  She grew okra that was almost six feet tall and she had grapes that she made jelly from every year.  I miss her so much...I would love her advice but I guess I'm doing okay.

I don't understand people who don't go outside.  I was thinking about this the other day.  I can't sit in the house, in front of the tv.  I can't lay on the couch while the sun is shining.  I have to go out there.  There's stuff to see.  There are things to find.  The only time I can be that couch potato is if it's raining outside or it's dark.  Little Abby and I just finished a mini-documentary on Borneo, and now I want to go.

I'll add it to the list.

No comments:

Post a Comment