Tuesday, October 25, 2016

Don't Be Transient

I am, by nature, an impatient person.  I can be incredibly patient with people, especially people who have disabilities, or people who are struggling in some form or fashion.  But I am not patient with situations.  Especially situations that involve me.

I finished at Hill College about a year ago and earned an Associate's degree.  Before that was earned, I had already applied at Tarleton and started working on  Bachelor of Science in Psychology.  No big deal, I was told.  You can go to both at once.  This is called being a "transient student".

Graduation time rolled around at  Hill College, and I was asked to specify if I would be attending graduation or not.  I said no.  At the time, too much was going on in our house.

My diploma for my Associate's degree in Early Childhood Ed never showed up.  Want to know why?

Because Hill College put a hold on my record.  Even though I earned the degree and fulfilled all its requirements, they put a hold on it because they wanted my records from Tarleton.

Tarleton never sent it.

Instead, Tarleton put a hold on my record there because they needed my transcript from Hill.

Both colleges, both putting holds on my records, me unable to graduate from one nor register for more classes at the other,  unable to request transcripts from either one because both of them have holds on my records.

Frustrating, no?

I finally was able to talk one of them into submitting a transcript for the other one, and they agreed to do it...grudgingly.  And while I was happy that they were able to take care of it, I am still a little miffed that a student would get treated that way.  Had I known that it would be such a pain in the ass to get this taken care of, I wouldn't have attended both at the same time.  If anyone is considering doing this, going to two places at once, I would tell them, no, don't do it, because it's not worth the headache.  It will, in the long run, help me get finished sooner at Tarleton, but a student shouldn't have to beg for records that belong to them in the first place, and that they, in essence, paid for.

In short, don't be transient.

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on the Associates and happy you are working on your Bachelors!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Mike! I should be graduating this summer!

    ReplyDelete