Thursday, October 29, 2015

Fossilmania


If I hadn't gone into psychology, I would have gone into geology.  The only thing that decided me against it was the fact that a lot of geologists end up working for oil companies, which I didn't want to do, or out in the field (literally), which I cannot do and take care of my kids at the same time.

So it's just a hobby.  It's a lifelong hobby, actually.  When I was a kid, my parents would take me and my brother to Colorado for camping vacations.  Every tourist trap always had rock samples for sale.  I think what cemented it for me was the time we rented a cabin in Estes Park.  The Fall River ran behind those cabins, pretty rapidly and ice cold (yeah, a totally safe spot for kids to play! :P) and there were huge boulders sticking up out of the water.  One morning my brother and I went out there, and someone had very carefully set a piece of iron pyrite (fool's gold) and some other interesting specimens on the top of this boulder.

Yes, I took them all.

No, I am not ashamed.  No one was there, and it was impossible to tell who they belonged to.   Etc, etc. justification, blah blah blah.

After that I was often looking at the ground.  I had a box under my bed that was full of rocks.

Fast forward years and the two geology classes I took at Hill College just fanned the flames.  Now I have a huge appreciation for this hobby.   To me, geology is history.  It's a record.  And (all scientists everywhere are going to roll their eyes at this one, but I care not) it's God's diary.  (Hey, He created all of it.  It's not specific about how).  I'm going to finish my MS in clinical therapy...and then perhaps go back to school and indulge myself in this.

Tomorrow at the Glen Rose Conference Center, my oldest son and youngest daughter and I will be attending "Fossilmania".  I've never been but I'm told it's so cool.  It's free to get in, and there are free things for the kids and lots of things to look at.  I can't wait...that, coupled with the Dallas Gem and Mineral Show in November, is going to send me into Sparkly Overload.  (A sparkly is my non-scientific term for any rock or mineral that...well..sparkles...)  

Anyhow, it's late, and I've been watching The Flash. I wish I could run that fast....


No comments:

Post a Comment