Thursday, July 7, 2011

The Trip Back

Okay, so the other day this guy came over to give us an estimate on replacing our roof.  He was here about five or ten minutes, then he goes to his truck and pulls out the cutest yellow lab puppy I have ever seen.  Sets it down in the front yard, then proceeds to make notes about the roof or talk on his cell phone or whatever.

I really liked that puppy.

I'm not sure why he brought it and set it down in my front yard.  I mean, what was this guy trying to pull?  Was he trying to distract me while he totted up all the repairs my roof needed?  Could he tell that here was a lady who is a sucker for anything cute and furry?  (except rats, which are NOT cute and which I can't really speak of without saying words a lady shouldn't say).

Anyway, within minutes my children had "confiscated" the puppy and took it to the backyard.  After a little while the man says, "Do you know anyone who wants a yellow lab puppy?"  And  I thought, huh?


Turns out the man needed to give it away due to circumstances beyond his control. Turns out the puppy is in our house, right now, this very MINUTE, playing with our two shih tzus, and turns out I am trying NOT to think about how HUGE this dog is going to get.

I really don't know what made me keep it.  We already had two, not to mention the bird, and the Uromastyx, and the hamster, and the random geckos that my son catches and studies and then releases.  When my husband pulled in the driveway and saw me holding that puppy, he backed out again.  It was a joke.  He didn't really leave.  But.  Many a truth is spoken in jest, as my friend Robbie likes to say.

I guess one of the reasons was Logan's reaction to the dog.  It's not like he sits on the floor and plays with it all the time.  But...the smile that broke across his face when he saw it, and the way he tried to pick it up and carry it, and actually pet it instead of acting annoyed with it the way he does with our shih tzus...that was worth something to me.  And sometimes, for whatever reason, some things are just important, and you don't know why they're important until much, much later, when you can finally see the whole picture.

There is also what I like to call "chaos point".  When your life is so disjointed and so chaotic with the various challenges you have, when you feel like you simply cannot handle one more thing, and then someone hands you one more thing...and then suddenly, all of that other stuff just doesn't matter.  You've reached your "chaos point"...it's like a runner hitting their wall and then continuing on, it's like Ethan Hawke in Gattaca outswimming his genetically superior brother every time, finally admitting that he didn't save anything for the trip back...you reach a point where some things just don't matter anymore. Logan broke a window or he got too much water on the floor, or something isn't going the way it's supposed to...who cares.  I never save anything for the trip back.

No comments:

Post a Comment