Wednesday, July 13, 2011

He Loves Fish Sauce

Know what fish sauce is?  It's nasty.  It's anchovy extract, water, salt, a little sugar...and it smells.  Bad.  We cook with it.

It's great if you put a few drops on rice and then simmer the rice.  It's also used a lot in Asian cooking. It was NOT meant to be drunk by itself!

The last two or three days, Logan has erupted into massive temper tantrums.  It's the first time, in a very, very LONG time, that he has done this, and it's been really disturbing.  When a child does this, you wonder if they are regressing.  You wonder if they are starting to lose some hard-earned communication skills.   And these tantrums erupted over nothing..he was put into time-out for throwing a shirt at the ceiling fan, and another time for banging on the window (we are tired of broken windows).

The screaming was awful...and I felt so sorry for him.  I knew he was upset and in distress and there was absolutely nothing I could do to fix it except just ride it out.

Later it all made sense when I opened the refrigerator and found the almost empty bottle of fish sauce.  I couldn't believe it.  I don't think he drank all of it...I think some of it went into his "manwhich" concoction that he made the other day...but autistic children can and do eat odd things.  Mustard or ketchup straight from the bottle.  Raw onions....bit into like an apple.  Raw potatoes, bell peppers, carrots, and squash.  Salt.  Wasabi. So the fish sauce doesn't surprise me, and now we have to lock our fridge.

No comments:

Post a Comment