Wednesday, July 6, 2011

I Feel For You

The other night my husband and I were watching an episode of "Hoarders".  I love this show.  First of all, it makes me want to throw things away.  Second of all, the motivations of people and why they behave and do the things they do fascinate me.  And I also love a good ending...seeing someone overcome something, or want to conquer a problem...I like that.

Well, we were watching this episode and there was a single dad on there.  He had decided to adopt these two children.  One of the children was about ten or so, and he had some behavioral issues.  He was born addicted to cocaine, and as we watched this episode I couldn't help it.  I just cried.  The house, besides being filled with extraneous things, bore the marks of a developmentally disabled child with aggression issues.  The windows were broken or covered with bubble wrap or peg board.  The mattresses were on the floor because the little boy had broken the bed frames.  There was a lot of footage of this child having emotional outbursts, grabbing things and flinging them at people in rage or agitation, or suddenly hitting his sister as she tried to sit on the couch and play with her toys.  When his father would grab him to try and calm him down, he would become more agitated, hit his father, and bite him.  (Thankfully, Logan is not a biter.)  

I felt so bad for that father and for the kids.  It's an almost impossible situation, dealing with a child who is like that constantly, and then dealing with it alone.  Logan is finally at a point where he can entertain himself for a while.  He doesn't have the fits he used to have, and although he is still destructive in his behavior, he is better able to communicate.  In some ways, also, watching this was a relief.  It showed me, once again, that no matter how rough you think you have it, there is always going to be someone who has it worse than you, and that the things you are experiencing, even though you may think they are unique...These things happen to other people, too, and you are not alone in your situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment