Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Don't Stim In The Kitchen!!

I wrote about stimming, and about  how autistic children do things to stimulate their five senses...touch, smell, taste, sight, sound.  Well...I think Logan likes to stim through smell and taste, or maybe he is just creative.  Anyhow, yesterday, he indicated that he wanted me to open a can of Manwhich.  I don't know why we had it, we never eat that stuff.  Anyway, I opened it, because from him, it was not an unusual request.  He often eats things straight from the can.  Well, once he saw it he didn't want it.  I set it down on the counter and got distracted (easy to do in our house) and there it stayed.

Fast forward about an hour.  I walked into the kitchen and this is what I saw:  Logan stirring something in a big green bowl.  In the bowl was:  the Manwhich, all of our ketchup, some mustard, eggs, and some sliced onions (don't want to know).  I said, "Are ya cooking, Logan?"  (He loves to "cook".)

He turned around, grinned, and lost his grip on the bowl, which splattered his "Manwhich mix" all over him.  At least he was wearing a swimsuit.

No comments:

Post a Comment