Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Sometimes You Have to Let Go (A Little)

Yesterday while my oldest was at day camp, I took my daughter and Logan to a local state park to meet some friends of hours.  I was a little leery about going, just because I hadn't been there in years.  She assured me that they had a nice beach area.  I'm always nervous when it comes to Logan and water, or Logan and a restaurant, or Logan and a grocery store, or Logan and any errand outside the house.

Well, my good friend was right and the water was shallow, the beach was clean and very, very uncrowded.  Logan and Sarah waded out into the water, and out, and out...and the water never got above their waists.  Slowly, by inches, I could feel myself relax.  I thought of how I went to the doctor a few months ago for something, and out of the blue he starts asking me if I have a lot of stress in my life.  I laughed.  I told him about our family, about Logan, then shrugged it off.  "I want to take an X-ray of your neck," he says.

He was very concerned.  The muscles and tendons in my neck were so tense and so tight, he said, that it had forced my vertebrae to be completely straight. (Your neck vertebrae are supposed to be gently curved, not completely straight.)  He told me this and I thought, So?  What do you want me to do about it?  All of this stuff, it's not going to go away.

Well, he gave me something for it and voila, months later I am feeling ten times better.  I watched Sarah and Logan wade out into the water (wearing life jackets, of course!) and thought, maybe it's time to relax, just a little, and let them just be kids, and not worry, quite so much, about what might or might not happen in the future.

I stepped into the water and felt all my cares slip away.

Of course, that was yesterday.  Today, we have another broken window and a flooded bathroom.  I could say I stepped into the water today also and let my cares slip away again, but mostly I just sighed and mopped it up.  Not every day is a day at the lake with friends, but I'll take them when they come!

No comments:

Post a Comment