Tuesday, May 31, 2011

O.I.L.H.I.T.

My husband has often made jokes about buying our son a human sized "hamster wheel".  He is so full of energy and so strong that he "acts as if driven by a motor".  (This question was on one of the parent questionnaires we had to fill out.  Does your son act as if driven by a motor?  Um, yeah.)

These jokes go along with the other ones he makes about the Wall of Velcro (see a previous post) and Valium patches for kids (seriously, that IS a joke.  They don't make such a thing.  If they did, we would know about it!)

So, today I went to a local outlet store.  I like this store, even though it smells strange (not bad, just strange).  They have clothes and shoes in there, and little knick knacks, and toys.  Imagine my amazement when I looked at the toys and found a giant, hollow inflatable ball.  It's constructed so that a child over the age of five can get inside it and roll around.  I didn't care how much it was.  I bought it.  (It wasn't THAT much).  So, when my husband gets home, Operation Insert Logan into Hollow Inflatable Thingy (OILHIT) will commence!  Of course, I will write about this very unique experience and let you all know how it goes.

The other endearing thing that has happened recently is that Logan has started singing.  He likes music.  His former Sunday school teacher at church, who we love and adore and works at a local theater, would sit right next to the piano with Logan and told us that occasionally, Logan would be right  on pitch.  As time went on he would try to sing different things, his favorite song being "November Rain" by Guns N Roses.  (Imagine a seven year old belting out:  Don't ya think that ya need somebody?  Don't ya think that ya need someone?)

So, yesterday evening, I'm sitting in the other room and Logan starts singing, "Here comes a tickle spider walking the road!  Gonna get your tummy!  Hi-ho the derry-O!  Tickle spider walking!  Tummy!  Walking the road!"  He was yelling this at the top of his lungs.  The "tickle spider" song is something I made up when the kids were little and he has remembered it all this time.  Which brings me to this other point, about Logan, and a lot of other children like him:  Their memories are phenomenal.  Logan remembers everything. A childhood playmate he had when he was two or three.  Where he stashed a shirt two weeks ago.  The name of a teacher he hasn't seen for a year.  I also have a dear friend whose nephew is autistic.  This child has a photographic memory.  He sees something, his brain takes a picture.  I sometimes think that if autistic individuals could talk, we would all learn so much...things we never dreamed.  In the meantime, I look forward to operation OILHIT...I do hope it's a success.

No comments:

Post a Comment