Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Fact Number One: Autistic Children Do Not Have "Powers"

My youngest son, who is seven years old now, has autism.  Some would describe his autism as severe, but it's all relative.  More on that in a different blog.  What spurred me to write this time is that more than one person has approached me, and, upon learning that I have an autistic child, asked, "So what is his power?" or "What is his special ability?"

I can only assume they are asking this question out of simple ignorance. For most people, what they know about autism is learned from movies like "Rain Man".  So, now I'll set the record straight.

Autistic children do not have a "power".  I often respond to these people by saying that my son can fly, or melt objects with his eyeballs.  I also assume that what they really mean is and don't know how to say is this:  Is your son a savant?

What is a savant?


"Savant syndrome (pronounced /səˈvɑːnt/[1]), sometimes referred to as savantism, is a rare condition in which people with developmental disorders have one or more areas of expertise, ability, or brilliance that are in contrast with the individual's overall limitations. Although not a recognized medical diagnosis, researcher Darold Treffert says the condition may be either geneticor acquired.[2]"  (Wikipedia)



There are autistic children who possess such talents. They can hear a piece of music once, and replicate it on the piano perfectly.  They can sing in flawless Italian any opera they hear.  They can give you the answer to a very complicated math problem, simply by thinking about it.  Such children are rare.

Is my son a savant?

No, he is not.

Does he have intelligence?

Yes, he does.  Sometimes frighteningly so.

Does he have a "power"?  I pray the answer is no.







No comments:

Post a Comment