Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Fact Number Two: Autistic Children Are Like Snowflakes

Someone asked me the other day what "type" of autism my son has.  I'm really glad she asked me that.  It gives me an opportunity to clear up more misunderstanding. I could be a smartass and say the "non-contagious" kind, but I have to remember what it was like before I had Logan (wow, that seems like SUCH a long time ago) and I didn't know what autism really was either or what it meant to a family that had a child like that.

Autism is a spectrum disorder (hence the name of the blog, "Spectrum Notes").  It is also called ASD, or autistic spectrum disorder.  This means that a child with autism can fall anywhere in a spectrum of behavioral, communicative, emotional, and learning disabilities.  There are a host of sub-categories that fall under the umbrella of autism.  Pervasive developmental disorder (PDD), Kanner's autism, Rett's syndrome, childhood disintegrative disorder, Asperger's...all of these are on the spectrum.  It's easy to see why people get confused. But what does it mean, really?  This is what I tell people:  autistic children are like snowflakes.  They are made of the same stuff, but if you put one autistic child next to another, no two will ever be the same or exhibit the exact same symptoms.  There will be similarities, but each child is different when it comes to behavior, emotion, and interaction.  It's different from, say, someone who has the chicken pox.  Chicken pox is chicken pox and it will look the same no matter who has caught it.  

Which brings me to my next point:  no, autism is not contagious.  I hope no one ever asks me this.  I don't think I'll be able to refrain myself from looking sorrowful and saying, Yes it is, and I'm sorry, but it's too late for you.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment