Sunday, November 8, 2015

Life is short, buy the sofa.



Yesterday I started painting our front living room red.

See, what happened is, I found this antique sofa and chair at a thrift store.  They were both in good condition.  They were covered with crushed velvet and both had a channel back, which you just don't see that much anymore.  I knew it was crazy, but I bought those.  I had no where to put them.  And then I did something even crazier and sent them to an upholstery shop.

Because I have kids, I asked them to cover it in something durable, so the upholsterer chose a sturdy fabric in a muted gray tone...and I just absolutely loved it.

Got sticker shock from the upholsterer.

Brought the sofa and chair home and still had no where to put it.

Realized, that with in-laws coming to visit toward the first of December, that the front room was really ugly...and broke out the can of red paint that sat in my entryway for six months.

I was a little nervous about doing it.  Red is a difficult color in houses.  If you don't get it pre-mixed with primer, it can take more than one coat to cover everything.  This shade took two coats and I'm only half-way done...but here's the thing:  I LOVE it.  The furniture that I went out on a limb and bought for no good reason looks really good in here.  And it's my favorite color scheme:  red, and gray, and there will be a little bit of black, too.

Logan loved it so much he went and changed into all red clothes.  I guess he was trying to match?

The point is, sometimes, you have to follow your heart.  You may feel like you should do something, and there's no good reason to do it.  It may not fit, logically, with what you know at the time.  But in the end, it works out.

I'm looking forward to completing this room with a great deal of anticipation.

Life is short.  Buy the sofa.

No comments:

Post a Comment