Wednesday, December 9, 2015



Last week I pulled my daughter out of school and started homeschooling her. In the course of figuring out her curriculum, we started discussing science.

"I hate science," she said.

I was horrified.  I was horrified because, just a couple of years ago, she loved it.

"Which science do you hate?" I asked.

"I hate all science."

And I was upset.  Not at her.  I was upset at her teachers, because science is so cool, and there are so many wonderful things about it, that someone, somewhere, should have brought some enthusiasm to the table and shown her how amazing it can be to discover things.  Considering that she accompanies me to almost every rock, gem, and mineral show I go to, we decided to stick with geology. She showed me the lesson she had been on at her previous school.  There was a list of words that she needed to know.  She was completely bored and didn't have a clue what any of it meant.

And that's when I put the book down and told her why I loved it so much.

Earth science involves materials that we use in everyday life.  If you drive on a road, live in a house, wear makeup, wear a wedding ring, use anything made of metal, or dig in a garden, then earth science affects you.  A lot of scientists squirm at the mention of "God" in relation to any scientific discipline, but the fact of the matter is, God created the earth.  We just don't know the mechanics of how He did it. If you look at a cross section of the layers of the earth, it's like being able to read the backstory of creation.  Learning about the materials that compose the place where we live is fascinating.  I've said it before:  It's God's diary.

Of course, after I explained this to her, all I got back was:  "Hmmm..".

Sometimes your work is just cut out for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment