Wednesday, December 9, 2015

Alternative Solutions


(image from telegraph.co.uk)

Every year I tell myself that I will get my Christmas shopping done early.  I tell myself that I will do the smart, thrifty thing and buy the presents all year long and stash them away somewhere until it's time to take them out and wrap them.

This is what I tell myself.

Myself doesn't listen.

Christmas is almost here and I'm still not done with it.  There's a part of me that wants to hide at this time of year.  The crowds and the social obligations are sometimes almost too much.  I remember when I worked as a travel agent, I had a client once that booked a one-week trip to an all-inclusive place in Mexico.  Single occupancy.  For Thanksgiving!  I was really young when I worked there.  I had just gotten married, and the idea of going someplace like that for a major holiday was really foreign to me.  At the time, I thought that lady was strange and wondered why in the world you'd want to travel to a foreign country when you were supposed to be at home, cooking and eating a feast and visiting with family.  Fast forward to now and I can totally see the appeal.  The idea of transplanting myself to a different location with beautiful scenery and making a true vacation out of the holidays has never been more enticing.  Imagine a cabin in the mountains with a simple Christmas tree and no phone.  Or a beach and 80 degree weather during November.  It sounds great, right?

So, I tell myself that next year will be the year that we spend Christmas in the mountains of Logan, Utah or rent that beach house in Galveston.  Maybe this time, I'll listen!

No comments:

Post a Comment