Monday, February 2, 2015

All Together

After wrangling with our local MHMR group over services for Logan and finding that there really wasn't a lot available in town for people with disabilities to receive support, I decided to just start my own group.

I contacted the director of our ISD special ed department and the school was supportive.  Uninvolved, but supportive.

The first meeting was held October or November (I'm  not sure now...this has been such a stressful year that some things just blur together).  I can't tell you how nervous I was to get up in front of a group of people (even though it was small group and people I knew) and just start talking.  But then, an amazing thing happened.  People opened up.  People got comfortable.  By the end of it they had smiles on their faces and they are still telling me how glad they are that we started it.

Last week we had our first "planning" meeting.  We picked a name for our group and we also discussed some things that we would like to see happen in the upcoming year.  The focus of our group is to provide support for parents and caregivers of children with disabilities, and to foster that support in an accepting and positive atmosphere.  We also want to make an impact in our community and gain more members.    I'm excited to grow this resource for people with autism and other disabilities, and I know our other founders are, too.

“Now ye may suppose that this is foolishness in me; but behold I say unto you, that by small and simple things are great things brought to pass; and small means in many instances doth confound the wise." Alma 37:6

No comments:

Post a Comment