Sunday, August 14, 2011

The Neighbor Kid

Some friends of ours live around the corner from us.  They have a son who is a few years older than our kids, but he still likes to come over and play games with my older son and daughter on the computer or the X-Box.  He seems to have a good time and my kids always ask when "D" can come over again and play.

The thing that impresses me about this neighbor kid is how he treats Logan.  He never ignores him and he never looks at him cross-eyed.  When he walks in the door, if Logan doesn't reach for him, he says, "Where's my hug?"  I've never known him to get impatient with Logan or treat him any differently from the other kids in the house.

I wish all kids could be like this neighbor kid.  I've read horrible stories on the news, where some special-needs child gets bullied at the bus top or picked on by classmates to the point where they are almost unable to attend school.  And I think a lot of that stems from a lack of awareness or understanding of the differences in other people.  If more parents took the time to teach their children that the world is made of diversity, that what makes it function the best is empathy, love, understanding, and acceptance...then we might all live better lives.  I'm thankful for this neighbor kid and all the good things he knows and all the good values his parents have instilled in him and his brother...who also comes over here from time to time and exhibits the same sort of patience and understanding.  I'm thankful for parents everywhere who teach their children to be kind, to be generous, to be supportive and understanding of others.  And I hope that one day, all parents will begin to see the value of sitting down with their children each night, listening with open ears and an open heart, and treating their children like the gifts from God that they are.

No comments:

Post a Comment