Friday, July 24, 2015

Not Quite Dead



So, today is one of those days.  Yeah.  You know what I'm talking about.  And you know when it happens and you think, oh.  Oh no.  It's happening.  I can't stop it.  It's THAT KIND OF DAY.  I can't compare it to anything.  Maybe a load of smelly laundry that's been ignored too long, so you just have to deal with it.  Or something else unpleasant.

It started with a three year old and an eleven year old both waking up at six am in the flippin' morning on the dot on a day when I didn't have to get up at six am in the flippin' morning.  One wanted to be held (the eleven year old) and one wanted to watch tv.  The answers were yes and no.  The three year old got mad, gave me her "go to hell" look, and crashed on the couch and fell back asleep.  So, after I was FULLY AWAKE the child that actually needed to be watched went back to bed.  And yes, it is a go to hell look.  When she's mad at someone, she looks at them like they're a bug stuck on the bottom of her shoe.

Then the tree trimmers came.  The tree trimmers came because we had a tree that got struck by lightning a few months ago.  The tree died, and has been threatening to crush our neighbor's truck ever since.  So, they came.  I left to go to the bank so I could pay the tree trimmers.  While I was there, I got a phone call from my daughter. The connection wasn't that great, so all I heard was:

"iuojoweihrweh  scared ihhafadofha loud crash oiudaeneiwkrwoh window uihohewrh,, glass everywhere!"

I went home as soon as possible.  On the way there I laughed.  I laughed when I was on the phone with my daughter and I laughed when I saw the window and my son looked at me like I was crazy.

"WHY are you LAUGHING?"

Because the other choice is to do the opposite.  Get angry.  Cry.  Whatever.  It's not worth it.

You have to laugh at the ridiculousness of certain situations so that they don't take over your life and make you depressed.  We've repaired broken windows before.  We've been there and done that and now we will do it again.

Attitude is everything.  I've learned this, and it's true...but I sure hope by the end of this day I'm not "mostly dead" ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment