Saturday, July 25, 2015

I Just Wanted a Gallon of Milk



When my two oldest kids were really small, people mistook them for twins.  They looked like twins and they acted like twins.  I thought I had it rough, dragging them to the store and trying to negotiate them and the mounds of food that I (thought we) needed. Sometimes, we even had to have two carts.  It was insane.  

I've learned that simplicity is a beautiful word.  I cannot count the number of times I have gone to the store with kids in tow (and it doesn't matter the age...this happens no matter which kid, or which combination of children, are with me), because I just wanted a gallon of milk, and ended up bringing half the store home with me.  Then I get home and lug all of that stuff into the house and set it on the counter and I think, how did a gallon of milk turn into this?

Perhaps it's because I lack the ability to say "no".  Or perhaps it's just easier to say "yes" (yeah, I know, I'm splitting hairs, whatevs).  Maybe it's because when my teenage son shows up at the cart with a bag of chips and another bag of Reese's minis, my scheming brain starts plotting all the ways I can bum a snack off of him (I'm your mother, I carried you for almost nine months, I bought it anyway, or the ever famous and iron clad Because I Said So.) 

One may ask, 

Why do I need to go there?  Why do I need to buy all this stuff?  Have we got a bag of popcorn?  A frozen pizza?  Is there water coming out of the kitchen sink?  What is this trip even for?

I'll tell you what it's for.  I don't go to the store because we need a ton of groceries anymore. I go to the store because I need to get out of the house.  I don't have a couple of almost-twins sitting in a buggy laden with goodies anymore, but sometimes, around ten at night or so (when the kids are usually in bed and no one will clamor to go with me), I feel the sudden urge to leave the house because we desperately need Q-tips.  

Then I come home with my chocolate bar and my copy of Psychology Today or Southern Living and everyone is happy because mama is.  The end.

No comments:

Post a Comment