Thursday, June 25, 2015

Resfeber



Today I learned a new word.  Resfeber.  Someone had a sign for sale on etsy.com and this word was on that sign.  According to the definition, it means, "the restless race of a traveler's heart before the journey begins, when anxiety and anticipation are tangled together; wanderlust".  (https://www.etsy.com/au/listing/175837801/resfeber-restless-traveler-dictionary?ref=market)

I feel like I have lived my life in this state for years.

I used to be a travel agent, and sometimes, I miss it.  That chapter in my life is closed right now, but I loved it when I was in the midst of it.  The picture above is Dubrovnik, Croatia. It's on the bucket list.  I think this is partly why I'm in real estate now.  It's mobile.  It's changing.  I get to meet people.  Instead of planning their vacations I'm helping them to move ahead in their futures, either by opening the door to their brand new home or sticking a For Sale sign on the one they're ready to leave behind.  

Life is like a Baskin Robbins.  There are too many flavors and not enough time to enjoy them all.  I don't believe in reincarnation; I think that this is our best and only shot at this life...and because of that, I've always felt a little panicked.  Some people are perfectly content to pick something and be really, really good at that something.  Someone may dedicate their lives to learning about 18th century England, and that's their thing.  Or they might love numbers, and so they work in a bank, and that fulfills them, the end.  I've never been wired that way.  I have a hard time understanding people who are.  That doesn't mean I don't appreciate those people and admire what they do, it means that I look at them and wonder, how do you do that?  Because I can't.  The closest I can come to experiencing everything is by writing, because you can live an infinite number of lives through the words you put on paper. 

I try to remind myself that this is just the way life is.  When I first became a real estate agent, my broker at the time, who is still a dear, sweet lady that everyone in town knows, sat me down and started personally training me in the fine art of salesmanship.  I never got to tell her how much I enjoyed that time, sitting in her cozy office and learning from someone who had been in the business for decades.  She had a different way of doing things that stuck with her for all of that time, and I admired it.  She asked me once what I wanted to learn.  "I want to know everything", I said.  She smiled and looked at me and shook her head.  "You can't ever know everything."

Perhaps not, just the way you can't eat everything at a buffet.  But you can get a nibble, and go back for seconds, and thirds.  As long as you save room for dessert.  That's the best part.  







No comments:

Post a Comment