Sunday, March 15, 2015

My Giverny



It appears that spring has finally descended on our little area of Texas.  It's still a little chilly, but not prohibitively cold.  (Prohibitively...is that a word?  It is now.)  Anyhow, it was with extreme delight that I spent a few hours yesterday working in the garden and getting my hands very dirty.  We have six raised beds and I planted all of them but one.  This year I'm leaning more toward heirloom vegetables.  Heirloom vegetables and flowers are plants that have been around for a long, long time...think of your grandma's or great grandma's garden and you're probably thinking of some heirloom varieties.  But more importantly, if you collect seeds from heirloom plants, you can save those for next year.  They're open-pollinated.

Besides working in the vegetable garden, I started preparing a bed for a bunch of flowers, bought some herbs, and started thinking about where to plant bulbs.  If I had my way, I would be out there all day long, and I would have twice the space I have now.  In my head, it looks like Giverny.  Giverny was Claude Monet's garden and home in the south of France.  It inspired many of his paintings and thousands of people visit it every year.  Mine doesn't look like that, of course.  (But I can pretend it does!)

Now that spring is here and the winter blahs have finally left, I plan to spend more time than ever working on the house and yard, working hard at my job, and working hard at school.  Life is best lived at the speed of light.  One day, I'll slow down, but "today is not that day".  Happy spring, readers.  Go outside and breathe.

No comments:

Post a Comment