Saturday, March 14, 2015

I Don't Care


Today Abby dropped some ice cream in our minivan.  The ice cream got all over a very expensive coat that I had left in the car that used to belong to my dad.

I didn't care.

I didn't care because I knew that I could wash it when I got home and it would be fine.  It started me thinking about how much I've changed since having kids.  When something happens, a series of questions runs through my head:

Is it permanent?
Did somebody die or sustain serious injury?
Can it be washed, mended, glued back together, or otherwise restored?
Can I fix it at all?

If the answer is no, no, yes, and yes, then I don't worry about it.  It reminds me of this Buddhist quote, to paraphrase:

"Can you do something about it? If no, don't worry.  If yes, don't worry."




No comments:

Post a Comment