Thursday, October 24, 2013

I Want To Do Everything.



Starting school again has been amazing.  It reminded me of just how much I love to learn new things.  The problem is...I want to do everything.

When I was growing up I had really grand plans.  I wanted to be a famous author.  I was going to go to college and major in music performance and play for a symphony.  And I was going to travel...to every country and every place I could possibly get to.

Life doesn't turn out the way we want to.  I'm still working on the author thing.  Music performance was something that happened for me, but in a different way than I imagined. My own daughter chose to play the flute this year...despite repeated assurances from me that it didn't matter what instrument she picked as long as she was happy with it.  She still chose the flute.  I feel like I came full circle the other day when she opened her book up and said, "Mom, I have to learn how to play this."  I looked.  It was one line of notes.  The title of it was "Hot Cross Buns".  I groaned.  When I was learning how to play, my mother made me practice for an hour each day after school.  For a novice player, this is a lot of time.  Your lungs aren't fully developed and it's extremely repetitive because you don't know all of the notes yet.  That song..."Hot Cross Buns"...I got so sick of that song.  And here was my daughter, practicing away...and although that symphony dream is still there, in the back of my head, I feel like I have been blessed.  Being able to watch my daughter discover this talent, and know how to help her if she needs it...that is priceless.

So here I am, going back to school, trying to stay focused because I find everything just so fascinating.  It would be so easy for me to get distracted and just start taking random classes, but I can't do that.  And it's frustrating because I know, in this life anyway, I will never have enough time to learn everything I want to learn and do all the things I want to do.

The other day a friend shared this quote with me, and now I'll share it with you:  "Live as if you were to die tomorrow.  Learn as if you were to live forever" -Mahatma Gandhi.

No comments:

Post a Comment