Monday, April 2, 2012

World Autism Awareness Day

Today is World Autism Awareness Day.  According to the latest statistics, now 1 in 88 children have the disorder, with the majority of these children being male.

I could write all kinds of things about autism, especially today.  I could write about the need for more education, so that "normal" children understand their peers better.  I could write about the wonderful things our school is doing to help children like my son and things they could implement to improve even more.  I could write about what a long, hard journey it is to raise such a child and I could write about the unexpected joys and pleasures that come from getting to know my son as he slowly progresses in his communication skills and cognizance.

Instead, let me just say that I am so thankful for my son.  There are so many lessons I've learned from him, and so many things that I am still learning through my day to day interactions with him.  I am thankful for the opportunity God has given me to raise such a special spirit...and on those days when I feel like I fall short as a mother, and I look up and say, "Why? Someone else could probably do this much better! Why did you give him to me?"   God has answered, "Because you can."

 

No comments:

Post a Comment