Monday, February 17, 2014

Chaos Theory




When I was a junior in high school, our math teacher (Dr. Whisenant, Pre-Calculus) asked us to do a research paper on a math-related topic.  She had a list we could choose from, and we could work in groups of two or three if we chose.  My best friend and I (she is still my best friend) chose Chaos Theory.  We chose it because we knew nothing about it, understood it was probably complicated, and figured that Dr. Whisenant (never understood why a woman with a dual PhD in English and Math would teach high school) would be so impressed that we had tackled such a subject that we would get an A.  (We did.)

In layman's terms, chaos theory means that a small action or occurrence in one place can set off a chain reaction of events and cause a bigger occurrence in another place.  (The present determines the future, according to wikipedia.)  A popular analogy that has never been proven is that if someone steps on a butterfly, in will cause a tsunami somewhere else.

My children had the day off from school today.  Thank you, Mr. President.  So much.  I had already decided that nothing would get done.  Different children came in and out of my house as the day progressed and when we finally saw everyone home, I figured out that we needed to go to the store.  Halfway between dairy and meat I stopped and the thought occurred to me that I had no idea what I was doing and that it would have been better to just go home.  I even considered just heading to the cash register with the stuff I had and coming back for the rest of it later.  That didn't make a lot of sense because I was already there, and so I decided to stick it out and get what was on the list.  After a trip to the bathroom where I discovered that the pattern on my bra could be vaguely determined through the fabric of my shirt (leopard, thanks) I decided to just stop worrying because the day was rapidly deteriorating anyway.  The store was becoming increasingly crowded, the baby was fussing, and Logan was becoming more agitated.  I could no longer lie to myself and say people were staring at us because my kids were beyond adorable.

I got in the car and thought that how I reacted based on what had occurred in the store would affect the rest of the day.  It's so easy for moms (or dads) to let the content of the day determine their mood and how they will treat family members.  Instead I thought of how much help my oldest son and daughter give me all the time, simply by carrying extra things or distracting their younger brother or sister.  I realized, once again, that I am really blessed. I understood from this experience that little things, like exercising patience when you don't want to, or keeping a not-so-great day in perspective, is essential to creating a peaceful future. Your smallest actions, even words said in passing, can change the entire course of someone else's day.

When I got home I changed my shirt.

And I didn't step on any butterflies.

1 comment:

  1. Excellent post:) Your kids are so special. Logan's big sis helps him so much during sharing time.

    ReplyDelete