Friday, December 6, 2013

Comfort Food

Yesterday, because we were going to get a lot of ice, I decided to make some good old fashioned comfort food.  One or two people have asked for the recipe.  I have to say this is not my recipe, I got it off of Pinterest, but it turned out really well.  I would suggest pairing it with some baked beans or a green salad.


Chicken and Dumpling Casserole

2 chicken breasts, cooked and shredded (You can use a rotisserie chicken to save time, or do like I did and steam two chicken breasts in your steamer with some veggies).
2 cups chicken broth
1/2 stick butter
2 cups Bisquick (or generic baking mix)
2 cups whole milk
1 can cream of chicken soup (cream of chicken with herbs is better, or do like me and mix it with some Kick'n Chick'n spice)
3 tsp chicken bouillon granules (I used Wyler's, and I only used  1 1/2 tsp because I don't like the salt content)
1/2 tsp dried sage (I used 1 tsp)
1 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp salt or more to taste

DIRECTIONS:  Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Layer 1:  9x13 in casserole dish:  melt 1 stick butter .  Spread shredded chicken over butter and sprinkle black pepper and sage over this layer.  DO NOT STIR.
Layer 2:  In a small bowl, whisk milk and Bisquick.  Slowly pour over chicken.  DO NOT STIR.  Layer 3:  In a medium bowl, whisk together chicken broth and cream of chicken soup, and bouillon.  Once blended, slowly pour over Bisquick layer.  Again, DO NOT STIR.  Bake casserole for 30-40 minutes or until the top is golden brown.


Vegetarian Modification:  I do have friends who are vegetarians and welcome their suggestions on modifying this dish.  I suggest substituting the chicken with salmon, the chicken broth, cream of chicken soup, and chicken bouillon with vegetable broth, cream of potato or other favorite vegetable cream soup, and vegetable bouillon.  Substitute the sage with dill and the pepper with lemon pepper.  Then follow the directions as needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment